forum   Vous n'êtes pas identifié(e) : Inscription :: Identification | Recherche Forum

Broken Boiler-who has to repair it? Tenant or Landlord?

WSP
Pimonaute assidu
Lieu : Brussels

Re : Broken Boiler-who has to repair it? Tenant or Landlord?

Pannchito my saviour smile

#(1)  Looked into "etat de lieux" there is nothing mentioned in the state of the boiler.Tenants cleverly removed it as I relied on them for translating "etat de lieux" from English to French.

# (2) I just bought the apartment in July and rented in September '11. No idea if any maintenance was done by my previous owner/tenant.  So, I would take it as "No maintenance was done less than 3 months before they moved in."

Nevertheless, I paid for the technician and collected certificate for "maintenance/onderhoud" myself on October 14th 2011, when I addressed gas leak compliant from the tenants (who moved in September 1st '11).So , we do have a certificate from Junkers stating maintenance done on October 14 2011 but it doesn't specify "entertien complete" but simply mentions "maintenance". !!!There are no gas leaks/gas smell!!!

This is the state pf the water heater  in the SDB now:

Concernant le chauffe eau de la salle de bain, il ne fonctionne plus depuis trois jours, il s'éteind tout seul...
Nous devons constamment le rallumer et attendre une heure pour qu'il fonctionne à nouveau. Alors que nous suivons la marche à suivre indiquée par  le technicien, qui était venu pour la fuite de gaz et faire l'entretien de
ce chauffe eau en date du 14 octobre 2011, il nous faut insister pour qu'il se rallume. Pourriez vous nous envoyer une personne qualifiée afin de remédier à ce problème?

[color=#A00000]Looking a the invoice, I also realize the equipment install date is 14/4/1998.
[/couleur]

I am willing to bear the cost  If this problem is due to age.

So what are my options now?

I Call the technician, ask them to for a verdict if the issue is due to age.

[option 1:]Issue not due to age:
-----------------------------------
In the case, fix the problem first, try replacing the boiler at ease at an earliest possible convenience.

(II-a) Who pays for this maintenance if this new problem is NOT due to age? Me or the tenant?

(III-b) Is there a age by which the equipment is declared unfit?

(III-c) will a certificate from technician it is fit to operate more than sufficient to buy me time replacing boiler at ease?

[option 2]:
issue due to age:
------------------------
(IIIa) In this case, it may take some time to get the boiler replaced.
Will the tenant ask me compensation or hotel charges until this get fixed?

(IIIb) Is there a deadline by which tenant may ask for compensation if it does n't get fixed? He reported to me today saying he has this problem for three days now.

[option 3]:No repair-Just replace the boiler ASAP
-------------------------------------------------------
Simply Replace the bolier since it dated 1998. Thereby avoid maintenance cost now and further hassles.

(IV) Which of the options would you recommend me? (I also understand I need to check at tenants convenience too, depends if I need to pay any penalty for any delay in getting it fixed soon)

Panchito-9340
Pimonaute

What is mentionned in the initial house inspection? (Compulsory by Belgian laws) about the boiler?

Have you given to them the attest proving the annual maintenance of the boiler was made less than 3 months before they move in?

If yes, your tenants will need to call maintenance first and let them give the verdict if it is due to age or not.

If this problem is due to age and you would need to replace the entire boiler, than you must bear the costs.

If there is a gas leak, your tenants cannot loose any secund and MUST call immediatly the emergency line number of Sibelga:
Gas Leak

WSP
Pimonaute assidu

I was too fast to reply hoping it is resolved for now.
I told the tenant it is upto them to repair it for now. I also mentioned I can be involved in case of replacement. I told them they need to call equipment vendor Junkers tehmselves and nota third-party technician. This is the reponse I got:

Il est stipulé dans le bail que nous avons la charge de l'entretien des chauffe-eau, une fois par an. Nous n'avions aucune preuve de l'entretien de l'année précédente notre entrée dans les lieux. Nous vous avons signalé dès la première semaine d'occupation (septembre 2011), une forte odeur de gaz émanant de la salle de bain. Vous nous avez suggéré de laisser la porte de la salle de bain ouverte, après avoir vous même constaté la chose... Après plusieurs plaintes et un mois plus tard, vous acceptiez de contacter un technicien par lequel nous avons appris que le problème était causé par une fuite de gaz, assez importante et que l'entretien de ce chauffe-eau n'avait pas était fait avant notre entrée dans l'appartement. Il en était de votre devoir de propriétaire d'en assumer la charge. Nous ne voyons pas cela comme un geste bénévole ("gesture of benevolence") mais comme un manquement grave à la sécurité de l'immeuble.
Nous prendrons à notre charge l'entretien des chauffes-eau de la cuisine et de la salle de bain chaque année, comme prévu dans le bail et dans la loi.
Cependant, ce n'est pas à nous à prendre en charge les réparations locatives qui ne résultent pas de notre fait. Le chauffe-eau de la salle de bain est défectueux, il faut que vous le fassiez réparer.
Cela est spécifié dans notre contrat de bail, à l'article 9, l'alinéa 1 et 2.
"Le Bailleur prendra à sa charge les grosses réparations à effectuer au bien loué (...)."
"Le Preneur prendra à sa charge les réparations locatives et de menu entretien, ainsi que les travaux incombant au Bailleur, mais résultant de son fait ou d'une personne dont il est responsable."
Il n'est pas question de payer les réparations ou un nouveau chauffe-eau, il incombe au propriétaire de le faire selon le droit belge.
Vu l'état du chauffe-eau, il est urgent, pour le bien de tous (une éventuelle nouvelle fuite de gaz...) , d'appeler un technicien pour le réparer.
Ce n'est pas normal de devoir insister une nouvelle fois pour que vous vous assumiez vos devoirs de propriétaire. Nous perdons énormément de temps, ce qui nous oblige, à l'avenir, si telle chose devait encore se produire à faire appel à un avocat.

So, should I jump to find a solution myself?

They are NOT willing to take the first step even to call the technician themselves. They think it is a "major problem". They are ""locals".
And the mild threatening that "they will go to advocate" is not the first time.
They are law students studying law and I am caught in a nine year trap already.

The gas water heaters are more than 10 years old. I bought this apartment last year and it is possibly true the heater was not maintained by previous owner/tenant at all in the previous 7 years.

I am sure technician from Junkers can fix it but I believe tenants want to escape and take a free ride, blaming equipment is old.Or simply to make me spend . I do not know for sure if the boiler is really broken or the fact that I asked for maintenance certificate they jump back on me to make me spend myself again for the second time within 6 months.

Is it worth calling for repair or simply go for a replacement? Or still insist tenants to call maintenance first and let them give the verdict if it is a "major issue" or not, worth involving landlord for replacement?

WSP
Pimonaute assidu

Thank you Panchito,

That puts me in peace for the moment.  Will see how it goes.
Much appreciated smile

Panchito-9340
Pimonaute

Tenants bear all the costs for maintenance and repair tasks UNLESS the problem is due to "major force" or age.

WSP
Pimonaute assidu

Broken Boiler-who has to repair it? Tenant or Landlord?

Dear Forum,

# I have rented my apartment in Bruxelles for 9 years lease, unfurnished.

# The contract type is (CONTRAT DE BAIL - RESIDENCE PRINCIPALE (Région de Bruxelles-Capitale)
link:https://www.pim.be/telechargement/bail_principal_v2009_bruxelles.pdf

The signed contract has the following additional clause:

[color=#0000A0]-le locataire doit fournir une preuve/copie du certificate de maintenace pour de l'entretien de la chaudiere une fois per an"[/couleur]

# As soon as the tenants occupied(September 1 2011), they ssupected gas smell and reported to me. I have called a boiler technicien , did a maintenance on October 14 2011, paid for the technician myself, collected certificate of maintenance myself,  and everything was ok for 6 months.

Suddenly, tenant says the following today:

Concernant le chauffe eau de la salle de bain, il ne fonctionne plus depuis trois jours, il s'éteind tout seul... Nous devons constamment le rallumer et attendre une heure pour qu'il fonctionne à nouveau. Alors que nous suivons la marche à suivre indiquée par le technicien, qui était venu pour la fuite de gaz et faire l'entretien de ce chauffe eau en date du 14 octobre 2011, il nous faut insister pour qu'il se rallume. Pourriez vous nous envoyer une personne qualifiée afin de remédier à ce problème?

The question is, after 7 months occupation (and I paying for maintenance in October 2011, if they have a problem with their Gas water boiler, who bears the cost of  repair now? Landlord or tenant?

Thanks

Pied de page des forums

Pim.be : votre forum de l'immobilier résidentiel belge depuis 2002.

Les dernières discussions sont ici » Récentes | Sans réponse
Règlement du forum | Liste des membres